What stands out
- Just say the wake word ‘Alexa’ and the Echo Dot responds
- Control your home, from switches, lights and the thermostat to the coffee machine
- Hands-free, voice control over your music
- Get news, traffic, sport, and weather updates
- Make voice calls to those who also have an Echo device or the Alexa app
- Leave messages and reminders on your Echo Dot with the Drop In feature
- Easily set up and manage the Echo Dot from the free Alexa app on your phone
- More functionality and skills are constantly being added
The Echo Dot is a pretty nifty little device that gives you a helping hand around the home, all you have to do is ask Alexa. It’s no bigger than a coaster and it’s super simple to use. With the Alexa app, you can quickly set up and manage your Echo Dot. You’re sure to be impressed by what this gadget can do for you. From playing music, making calls, providing information and even ordering a takeaway to controlling your lights, switches and thermostat. You’ll wonder how you lived without it.
It comes in handy in any room of the home, and you could even kit out your home with more than one Echo Dot and they’ll work in sync with each other. With an array of seven microphones and enhanced noise cancellation the Echo Dot can hear you from across the room, even in noisy environments. So even if you’re in the kitchen cooking along to your favourite tunes, saying "Alexa, set a timer" or "Alexa, find apple pie recipes" is no trouble at all.
The Echo Dot itself can play music from Amazon music, Spotify or TuneIn, but if you prefer it can also play music through a connected speaker, just connect your speaker via Bluetooth or plug it in to the Echo Dot. Then just say "Alexa, play my happy playlist". You can request by artist, song, playlist, genre or mood. She can even find music by lyrics or the year a song or album was released.
That’s not all that you can control hands-free around the home. The Echo Dot can be used with a number of different smart devices from multiple brands. Position some smart plugs around the home and you can switch numerous appliances on and off, like TV’s, fans and lamps – just say “Alexa, turn on my living room fan”. Fit your lights with smart bulbs and you can even dim the lights from the sofa whilst you cosy up with a film. There’s even thermostat controls and coffee machines that can be controlled through the Echo Dot.
There’s a wealth of information and tasks the Echo Dot is just waiting to assist you with. Ask Alexa how your calendar’s looking, what’s in the news, what’s the weather like and even request an Uber taxi or a takeaway from JustEat. Create a shopping list or a to-do list just by speaking to Alexa, "Alexa, add milk to my shopping list". She can even read your book to you. Amazon Prime members can even order products through the Echo Dot.
You can use The Echo Dot to make calls to others with Echo devices or those with the Alexa app. And if you’re away from home you can leave messages on your Echo Dot for family members or leave reminders for yourself. By setting up numerous Echo Dots around the home you could use them as an intercom system.
Alexa, the brain behind the Echo Dot, updates through the cloud automatically and is continuously learning, adding new functionality and skills. The more you use the Echo Dot, the more it adapts to your speech patterns, vocabulary and personal preferences.
- Dimensions: W8.3 x D8.3 x H3.2 cm
- Weight: 163g
- Alexa app compatibility: Fire OS, iOS, Android
- Wi-Fi connectivity: Dual-band Wi-Fi supports 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4 & 5 GHz) networks
What's in the box?
- x1 Echo Dot
- x1 Power adaptor (9W)
- x1 USB charging cable
- x1 Quick start guide
- Play your music through the Echo Dot or through a connected speaker
- Order takeaway from JustEat, order an Uber, check National rail
- Set timers, get calendar updates, make shopping list and to-do lists
- Amazon Prime members can ask Alexa to order items
- Hears you from across the room even in noisy environments
- Connect the Echo Dot to your speakers or headphones over Bluetooth
- If you have more than one Echo Dot the closest one to you will respond
- Updates automatically through the Cloud, learning and adding new functionality and skills
- Compatible with numerous smart devices from; electriQ, WeMo, Samsung, Philips Hue, Sony, Hive, Netatmo, Tado°, Nest and more
- Supports IFTTT (If This, Then That) a third party service enabling you to create rules that automate how your devices, apps and websites work with each other
- 3.5mm Audio cable port
- 7 Microphones using beam-forming technology
- Enhanced noise cancellation with far-field voice recognition