Create beautiful documents and enjoy the read.
The new Word gives you a new, clean view so you can enjoy the read right from your screen. Of course, you still get professional-grade tools for creating beautiful documents and working with others. Stay on top of the latest changes to a shared document, and all the conversations in the document. Have your documents saved and stored online, so you know you’re using the right version. Add polish and style with new compelling templates and tools, and support for online videos and photos. Polish. Work together. And enjoy the read.
Do more with your docs: Pop in an online video, open a PDF and edit the content, align pictures and diagrams with minimal fuss. The new Read Mode is clean and distraction-free—and it works great on tablets. Teaming-up is better too, with direct connections to your online spaces and streamlined review features like Simple Markup and comments.
- New Read Mode. Text reflows automatically in columns for easier on-screen reading. Less menus mean higher focus on your content, accompanied only by tools that add value to your reading.
- Object Zoom. In Read mode, you can easily zoom in on tables, charts, and images, and have them fill the screen. After you take in the details, another tap or click will minimizes them, so you can continue reading.
- Resume Reading. Enjoy your reading, take a breather, and then pick up right where you left off—even on a different PC or tablet. Word automatically bookmarks the last place you were reading.*
- Reply Comment. Keep track of the conversation. Place and reply comments right next to the text you’re discussing, so everyone can readily see who replied to whom, and when.
- Simplified Sharing. Relax. You can be sure that you’re all tracking only the latest version, because your files are saved online on SkyDrive or SharePoint by default.* Send everyone a single link to the same file, along with their viewing and editing permissions, right from within Word.
- Present Online. Enjoy greater flexibility. Project your document to everyone in your working group, even if they don’t have Word. Send them a link, and as you present the document on your screen, they can follow along in their browsers online.
*Internet connection required; must be signed in with a Microsoft account or a Microsoft Online Services ID
PDF Reflow. Here’s a time-saver you'll really love: Open a PDF in Word, and enjoy editing content, such as paragraphs, lists and tables, as if you created it in Word.
Alignment Guides. Achieve that polished, professional look—align charts, photos, videos, and diagrams with your text. Handy alignment guides pop into place when you need them and disappear when you’re done.
Live Layout. Experiment with layouts. When you drag a photo, video, or shape to a position, text reflows instantly—right before your eyes. Release the mouse button, and your object and surrounding text stay right where you want them.
Object zoom. Double-tap with your finger or double-click with your mouse to zoom in and make tables, charts and images in your document fill the screen. Focus on and take in the information, then tap or click again outside the object to zoom out and continue reading.
Resume reading. Reopen a document and keep reading right where you left off. Word remembers where you were—even when you reopen an online document from a different computer!
Online video. Watch online videos right in Word, without having to leave the document, so you can stay focused on the content.
Save and share files in the cloud. The cloud is like file storage in the sky. You can get to it anytime you’re online. Now it’s easy to share a document using SharePoint or SkyDrive. From there you can access and share your Word docs, Excel spreadsheets, and other Office files. You can even work together with your colleagues on the same file at the same time.
Reply to comments and mark them as done. Comments now have a reply button. You can debate and easily track comments right next to the relevant text. And when a comment is addressed and no longer requires attention, you can mark it as done. It will be greyed out to keep out of your way, but the conversation will still be there if you need to revisit it later.